Tuesday, October 27, 2009

memory

The things I brought you
When I found out you had cancer of the bone

Your father cried on the telephone
And he drove his car to the Navy yard
Just to prove that he was sorry

When I was in sixth grade, or thereabouts, my grandfather (Paw) went out and got me a sapphire necklace and earring set for Christmas. He remembered it was my birthstone. My grandmother always did all the Christmas shopping, so was a bit shocked at this act of love. I have never forgotten that.

I remember tying the necklace to my shoelaces because I wasn't allowed to wear jewelry during a softball game. I think, and I might be wrong, that this was the same softball game that my mom took me home early from because my cat Louie (missing for a month) had come home. It was a good day. To remember how much Paw loved me, and how good it felt to have Louie home, it was almost too much joy for my lonely 11-year-old self.

No comments: