Monday, January 26, 2009

thank you

nice things people have done for me lately:

  • Xander took a nap on my belly, which always imbues me with his gentle spirit.
  • Students said really nice things about me on my TA evaluations from last semester.
  • Mom made me a tiny bag for my D&D dice.
  • Patrick got me sugar gum after overhearing me say I like it.
  • Leigh took me to about every grocery in Albuquerque in search of Mexican Coke. (I could make a whole long list about nice things Leigh and Patrick did, actually)
  • Sarah said I had rocking bangs on my new Facebook picture.
  • Dad wrote me a really nice letter in praise of my apartment space, which he stayed at over New Year's.
  • Andy took care of my cats while I was away in New Mexico, and left me a T-shirt that has a large donkey and a small donkey, which says "Burro. Burrito."
  • Kurt (and maybe Chad) listened to my radio show from work.
  • Beth let me watch Battlestar at her house, and she and her girlfriend shared their theories with me.
  • Jerry let me use a coupon at Blazer Tag last night.

This is an excellent excerise. Next step would be nice things I've done for other people, I guess.

  • Took charge of making reservations for 9 at hotels in Russia.
  • Bought Andy some cookies.
  • Fed the cats wet food (which they promptly thew up).
  • Gave Jerry some tokens to play video games.
  • Invited people over for dinner.
  • Bought girl scout cookies and fed them to D&D group.

This list is harder because it's more difficult to determine what was "nice." If I list something like "smiled at Talitha as she passed," that seems less altruistic and almost condescending. Whereas I know exactly how someone else's actions made me feel--good (in these cases). Like, Sarah couldn't say that complimenting my bangs was "nice" on her own list, or it would seem ungenuine. Isn't that weird? But it WAS nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. You could count it as a nice thing, by sending good karma out into the world you are doing something good. We had a great time with you.

Carrie said...

i should make it a weekly endeavor.