Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Central Soil and Water Conservation Res...CSWCRTI

The presentation at the museum was very difficult to understand because of a heavy accent. The parts I understood with the help of the museum's visuals were pretty interesting. I had been wondering what the terrace farming was supposed to do-they decorated the view from Mussoorie and looked quite nice. Turns out they also help with soil erosion, which became my "humanity's emergency" du jour (concurrent with supervolcanoes and sinkholes). Deep Thought: "Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared." True.

Anyway, we were able to speak with the somewhat reticent director about getting some help for me in translating-people during my journey. We'll see how that pans out, but I need to write a followup letter.

No comments: